Decisions, decisions, decisions…
Lockdown. Quarantine. Self isolation. Hell. Heaven – whatever you want to call it, Coronavirus has had a big impact on our lives. We truly are living through a piece of history that will be taught to our children one day – it’s quite mental when you think like that hey?
My thoughts are with anyone suffering or who have lost loved ones due to the virus. It’s a truly hard time for us all but I cannot imagine the hurt and pain people are feeling if they cannot visit ill loved ones. Stay strong, we are all in this together and everyone needs to support each other more than ever before.
Okay, so back to lockdown. For those who don’t know me, I am a HR Business Partner in the insurance sector. You can imagine the stress just from that sentence right? It’s a fucking weird time but we are coping without having to furlough staff or make cuts which is keeping people so positive. So, we decided to initiate working from home for everyone about a week before the Government’s demand. Tomorrow will be the start of week 7 for me and I am actually so used to it now! Might sound strange but I am actually really enjoying it now. I didn’t to start with, so that’s where we will start now…
As you’ll know from my last blog, I moved back home with my mum at the beginning of March with the intention to continue seeing T at the weekends and after work some nights. That idea was drastically shat on… BRING ON LOCKDOWN! Immediately I was anxious. How long will this be for? Will T be okay with his asthma? When am I going to see him? What about my birthday? And my party? When am I going to cuddle my best friends and my brothers? What?! No. I’m not going to be able to cope. I’m unhappy already. Done.
However, I wasn’t quite “done”, just had a blip which is totally okay considering what was going on around me. The first week went by in a bit of a blur because it was kind of like “well this is weird!” more than actually acknowledging my feelings. I was really just screaming out for some self care – I mean there’s always technology to see loved ones virtually, I know it’s not the same but it still makes me all warm and happy.
So, I finally listened to myself – self care was on the agenda. First step was to order a proper yoga / fitness mat. I then slowly got into a routine of doing yoga 3-4 times a week which immediately made me feel so much better. It was especially appreciated after a hard day at work or personally challenging day when it came to how I was feeling mentally. These types of days make it very hard to decide what’s best; a quarantini or quaranteeny. I’ll explain to you what I mean here. Picture the angel and devil on your shoulders – glass(es) of wine or focus on yourself with toning and exercise (one that will help you in the short term and then stick you straight back to where you were beforehand, or possibly even worse because you’ll have hangxiety too… OR long term gains with exercising, where not only do you put in some serious effort to clear your head, but you’ve also got the added excitement each week when you get to see the results!)
Quaranteeny with a side of quarantini for Amber… IT’S ALL ABOUT MODERATION RIGHT?!
Disclaimer – I do NOT by any means put pressure on myself to be “teeny” it just works for this, don’t ya think?
There’s been a couple of rules I’ve stuck to (outside of the Government’s!) which are for me, focusing on what makes me happy and keeps me positive…
1. Reading books – break away from Netflix or shitty TV and dive into a fictional wonderland. Even better, create a book club with your besties. I miss my book club meet ups. This is something that we all love because we have a catch up and eat together whilst also analysing the book we’ve just read. Try it out!
2. Yoga – need I say anything else? A perfect escape to clear your head, be mindful, learn new skills AND watch your progression. This is something I am LOVING at the moment because I’m noticing improvements and those little wins are the best kind. I do zoom classes with Yin to the Yang Yoga as Justine used to do our corporate classes and I loved them. I’ve linked her Instagram if you want to check it out too.
3. Baking – pancakes, pancakes and more pancakes. Oh and have you noticed that everyone is on some sort of banana bread hype? Yeah, that too. Again, baking is SO therapeutic for me and that’s what it’s all about.
4. Self care and mindfulness – when I am reading or writing in my bedroom I am lighting a new massive candle from Neom to get a boost of amazing essential oil scent. I am looking after my skin on a daily basis with a more enhanced process a couple of times a week to treat it that little bit more 🙂 Keep an eye on my Instagram stories for more on this as I’m beginning to share my favourites. Meditation is another weekly must have. Once a week, I do a meditation class with Yin to the Yang Yoga and it’s perfect timing as it’s midweek and keeps me going for the rest of the week.
5. Regular exercise – I’ve said it once and I will say it again, the best cure to feeling low or anxious. A walk round the block is just as good as a 10k run, so don’t put pressure on what you do once you’re outside, just get out there and enjoy! I am trying to do regular walks with my mum and we pretty much just marvel at the flowers and the blossom trees, the gorgeous green colour that the trees are now, and the sunny weather. Loving it. I have challenged myself to also complete as many Body by Ciara sessions as I can because one of the things that really makes me happy is seeing the change – seems vain but I don’t care. The intensity of some of the classes makes me SO happy because endorphins obvs, but also the fact I can do it!! I’ve bought myself a new Fitbit so I can see exactly how I am helping my body too which is a motivator in itself.
6. Listen to music – whether that be fun, summer anthems or relaxation music, it all works! I change my playlists throughout the day to cater to what I’m doing and I love it. I am and always will be obsessed with music of any kind!
7. Buy yourself some flowers – they brighten the room and your mood. ENJOY.
8. Finally – dance whilst you’re cleaning your teeth in the morning. It starts the day off with a bit of fun.
So, what will be on order tonight? Red, white or rose?
Love from, Amber x